Destination Aspen Colorado February 01, 2015 03:00
Aspen, Colorado is one of the most popular vacation spots in the US and it's a year round destination. The appeal is easy to understand.
In winter, this snow covered wonderland is a perfect getaway for beginner skiers to serious skiers, celebrities, memorable family vacations, and those who just want to relax. With some of the best skiing in the world, breathtaking views, and a lively town, visiting Aspen is like walking inside a charmed snow globe village.
In the summer, the natural outdoors beauty will refresh and rejuvenate you. For the wilderness enthusiast, unlimited opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, and rafting abound. Year-round, the town is open for entertainment ... you can grab a cup of java in town and peruse high-end shops; enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, cultural activities, and exciting nightlife; or pamper yourself at a spa.
Below is some general info to get you started when you visit:
Aspen Area Airports
- Aspen/Pitkin County Airport; Aspen, CO (ASE)
- Eagle County Airport; Eagle, CO (EGE)
- Garfield County Regional Airport; Rifle, CO (RIL)
Aspen's 4 Ski Resorts:
- Snowmass - Aspen's largest skiing resort with a vast range of terrain to suit all levels
- Aspen (Ajax) Mountain - the original ski area, catering to intermediate and advanced skiers
- Aspen Highlands - a favorite for locals; usually the least crowded of the 4 mountains
- Buttermilk - aimed at snowboarders and beginners, with 42 + trails
Aspen Chamber Resort Association
Tourist and visitor center: www.aspenchamber.org, 888.667.5666
- Aspen Food and Wine Classic: summer festival for the foodie
- Naturalist-Guided Ski & Snowboard Tours: You can explore the high-alpine environment as naturalists lead the 45-minute skiing explorations everyday at Snowmass. Call 970-923-0560 for reservations.
- Join the staff for an early morning first run of the day on freshly groomed snow or powder.
- Big Air Fridays, Jaw-dropping jumps and stunts at Snowmass
- Storytelling by the Campfire
- Snowmass Village: sip hot chocolate and toast marshmallows around a roaring campfire while local storytellers spin tales for families at this unique après-ski gathering.
- Aspen Youth Center (AYC), 970.544.4130. They have programs and activities for local and visiting youth ages 7-18, including a full kitchen, arts & crafts area, media and games rooms, teen lounge, study room with computers, and a large multi-purpose room to accommodate dances, parties, and a variety of classes.
- Wheeler Opera House, Tel: 970.920.5770. The newly designed interior hosts various theater and concert performances throughout the year.
- Fishing: the Roaring Fork and Fryingpan Rivers make for some great trout spots
- Silver Queen Gondola. A year-round attraction, whisking visitors from the center of Aspen up to the summit of Aspen Mountain.
If you have visited Aspen before, let us know what favorite spots and activities you enjoyed. If you would like to visit Aspen some day and have questions, let us know.